was born Apr 20, 1860 in Washington Co., GA, and died Nov 30, 1930 in Emanuel
Co., GA. He married (1) CENIANN
Jul 25, 1880 in Emanuel Co, GA, daughter of JAMES
She was born May 13, 1856 in Laurens Co, GA, and died Oct 17, 1917 in Emanuel
Co., GA. He married (2) GRIFFIN
Unknown in Adrian, Ga (1919). She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Notes for THOMAS IVY SMITH:
Thomas Ivey Smith was the son of Joseph Duty Smith and Rebecca Elmira Joiner. He was born April 20, 1860 in Washington County, Georgia. He lived there until after his marriage to Ceniann Permelia Boatwright and then moved to Emanuel County. He farmed in Emanuel County until his death. He is listed on the 1930 Census living with his son, Devoe, in Highlands County Florida. He then returned to Emanuel County, Ga. where he died in November of that year.
Deed from Emanuel County: C.P. and T.I. Smith bought 60 acres (more or less) from U.m. and E.L. Durden for $1000.00 Oct. 26, 1905. This land is adjoining land owned by C.P.Smith and Jane Barwick.
Ceniann died in 1917 and it is believed that he married again in 1919 but no record has been found. He did not have a wife on the 1920 census record.
Notes for CENIANN PERMELIA BOATWRIGHT:
Ceniann Permelia Boatwright was born in Washington county, Ga. By the 1860 Census the family had moved to Laurens county where she is listed as 4 yrs. old. On the 1870 census she is listed as Susan A., 14 yrs. old. The age is right and there was no Susan listed on 1860 census. The census taker probably heard Susan Ann instead of Ceniann.
Her father died in the Civil War and her mother died in 1880. In 1880 she married Thomas Ivey Smith. On the 1900 and 1910 census she is listed with her husband and children in Emanuel county, Ga., Adrian.
Deed from Emanuel County. Ceniann bought one acre of land for $5.00 from Jane Barwick Jul 23, 1903.
Deed from Emanuel County. C.P. and T.I. Smith bought 60 acres (more or less) from U.m. and E.L. Durden for $1000.00 Oct. 26, 1905. This land is adjoining land owned by C.P.Smith and Jane Barwick.
Devoe Smith was administrator for Ceniann Smith's estate. Inventory includes half interest in 60 acres (more or less). This land is adjoining land owned by Thomas I. and Ceniann Smith. (This is probably 1/2 interest in 60 acres owned jointly by Ceniann and Jane Barwick.).
Ceniann died in 1917 and is buried at Kea's Church Cemetary.
Children of THOMAS SMITH and CENIANN BOATWRIGHT are:
UTHER GERALD6 SMITH, b. Jul 7, 1881, Emanuel Co, GA; d. May 6, 1907, Emanuel Co, GA.
UTHER GERALD SMITH:
Burial: Keys Methodist Church Cemetery
2. ii. CARRIE BELL SMITH, b. May 20, 1883, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Aug 1913, Emanuel Co, GA.
iii. JODIE SMITH, b. Abt. 1885, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Abt. 1885, Emanuel Co, GA.
3. iv. GUSSIE LEE SMITH, b. Dec 31, 1889, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Jun 1947.
v. THOMAS IVY SMITH, JR., b. Apr 19, 1889, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Jul 11, 1978, Adrian, Emanuel Co, Georgia; m. ISABELL, Abt. 1928; b. 1892, GA.
HOMAS IVY SMITH, JR.:
1930 Orange Co, FL. Thomas I. Jr. age 40, Isabelle age 38. Been married 2 years. Laborer on Farm. He later divorced Isabell.
More About THOMAS IVY SMITH, JR.:
Burial: Keys Methodist Church Cemetery
Occupation: Methodist Minister and Music Director
vi. CLARENCE SMITH, b. Abt. 1891; d. Abt. 1893.
4. vii. OTHA JULIAN SMITH, b. Feb 15, 1893, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Feb 20, 1931.
5. viii. ANNA JEWEL SMITH, b. Feb 15, 1895, Emanuel Co, GA.
6. ix. DEVOE SMITH, b. Sep 15, 1896, Emanuel Co. GA; d. Oct 9, 1980, Montezuma, GA.
7. x. EVA MAE SMITH, b. Jul 14, 1900, Emanuel Co, GA; d. Jan 1981, Apopka, Orange Co, FL.
Generation No. 2
2. CARRIE BELL6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born May 20, 1883 in Emanuel Co, GA, and died Aug 1913 in Emanuel Co, GA. She married JOHN PEDDY. He died Bef. 1930 in Lakeland, Polk Co, FL.
Notes for CARRIE BELL SMITH:
Can not find on any census records after she married.
After Carrie Bell died, John remarried Ella? and moved to Lakeland, FL. In 1930 his widow Ella is living with children: Carrie Bell age 21, John C. age 18, and Ella M. 12.
More About CARRIE BELL SMITH:
Burial: Keys Methodist Church Cemetery
Notes for JOHN PEDDY:
After Carrie Bell died, John married again and moved to Lakeland, Polk Co. FL.
Children of CARRIE SMITH and JOHN PEDDY are:
ARRIE BELL7 PEDDY, b. 1909, GA.
ii. JOHN C. PEDDY, b. 1912, GA.
OHN C. PEDDY:
Occupation: 1930, Laborer for Tin Smith
3. GUSSIE LEE6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born Dec 31, 1889 in Emanuel Co, GA, and died Jun 1947. She married GEORGE THOMAS MAYO Oct 17, 1907 in Johnson Co, GA, son of GEORGE MAYO and MALISSA JOINER. He was born 1890 in GA.
Notes for GUSSIE LEE SMITH:
In 1910 in Johnson Co, GA. - George T. Can't read age. Gussie 19, been married 2 years. Gussie has had two children. Hubert is living.
Can not fine on 1920 or 1930 census records.
Children of GUSSIE SMITH and GEORGE MAYO are:
RIS7 MAYO, m. ?? HILBURN.
Lived in Miami. Husband owned Marriot Hotels and part of Dolphins.
ii. HUBERT MAYO, b. 1910, Johnson Co, GA.
iii. THOMAS MAYO.
iv. DUTRAN MAYO.
Died at 15 years of age.
v. MOBLEY MAYO.
4. OTHA JULIAN6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born Feb 15, 1893 in Emanuel Co, GA, and died Feb 20, 1931. He married CORA LEE PETTIS Abt. 1917. She was born Abt. 1901.
Notes for OTHA JULIAN SMITH:
1920 Emanuel Co, Ga. Julian 27, Cora 19, Otha 1 2/12. Next door to father, Thomas Smith.
Notes for CORA LEE PETTIS:
Name: Mrs. Julian Smith
Children of OTHA SMITH and CORA PETTIS are:
5. ANNA JEWEL6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born Feb 15, 1895 in Emanuel Co, GA. She married LONNIE CURL. He was born Nov 17, 1890, and died Jul 1967 in Suwannee Co, FL.
Children of ANNA SMITH and LONNIE CURL are:
6. DEVOE6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born Sep 15, 1896 in Emanuel Co. GA, and died Oct 9, 1980 in Montezuma, GA. He married MABEL BUDD Jun 17, 1927 in Sebring, FL, daughter of GEORGE BUDD and ELVIRA PRESCOTT. She was born Feb 24, 1907 in Sebring, Highlands, FL (Moffitt), and died Oct 7, 1980 in Americus, GA.
Notes for DEVOE SMITH:
Devoe was administrator for estate of Ceniann P. Smith (his mother). Oct 22, 1922
Devoe Smith sold 61 1/4 acres (more or less and known as the old Thomas I. Smith place) to John T. Barwick for $2500.00. Sep 8, 1950.
Devoe Smith was born in Emanuel county Georgia, Adrian Sept 15, 1896 to Thomas Ivey and Cennian (Boatwright) Smith. He lived there until joining the USMC in 1917.
In 1919 he received an honorable discharge as corporal, with a PURPLE HEART, wounded in combat in Germany. Served as aide to New York city area USMC Commandant for a year before combat, and was stationed in Haiti after war until discharged.
Upon discharge he went to Highlands county Florida where he farmed and kept honey bees. His bees worked orange groves in central Florida in the early fifties on a contract basis with grovers.
In Highlands County he met and married Mabel Budd June 17, 1927.
About 1935 he moved back to Enamuel county, Ga with Mabel and three children born at Sebring. He lived and farmed in Emanuel county until about 1950 when he moved the family to Cochran Ga. and he returned to Central Florida and worked a bee farm. His bees worked orange groves in central Florida for about two years on a contract basis with grovers. He returned to Cochran, Ga in about 1952. His last year he lived with his oldest daughter, Mickey. He died October 9, 1980, the day after Mabel when he heard of her death.
More About DEVOE
Notes for MABEL BUDD:
Mabel Budd was born in Feb 24, 1907 in Highlands County, FL to George Grant and Elvira (Prescott) Budd. Her twin, Mabry, died at birth.
She married Devoe Smith June 14, 1927 in Sebring. They lived there until about 1935 and then moved to Emanuel Co, Ga. About 1950 they moved to Cochran, GA. She died Oct 7, 1980 from colon cancer. She lived the last few months in Ideal, Ga. with her daughter Mickey.
Mabel and her husband Devoe were buried together at Union Hill Methodist Church Cemetary, Cochran, Ga. on Oct. 11, 1980.
More About MABEL
Children of DEVOE SMITH and MABEL BUDD are:
iv. WILLIAM EDWARD SMITH, b. May 6, 1937; m. and d. Dorothy Collins.
v. ANNETTE SMITH, b. May 22, 1941, Adrian, GA; m. (1) LAMAR HAMLIN, Nov 11, 1960, Macon, GA; b. May 6, 1940, Macon, GA; d. Sep 18, 1991, Macon, GA; m. (2) TURNER ALDINE TRIBBLE, JR, Sep 26, 1981, Reno, NV; b. Dec 14, 1938, Atlanta, GA.
vi. DEVOE SMITH, JR., b. Aug 25, 1943; m. GLORIA Evans; b. Sep 29, 1947.
vii. RICHARD JOSEPH SMITH, b. May 26, 1947; m. JUDITH Howell; b. Jan 15, 1949.
viii. PHYLLIS MARIE SMITH, b. Jan 25, 1952, Adrian, GA; m. DOUGLAS WARNER; b. Jan 18, 1951. m. (2) Michael Bleckley
7. EVA MAE6 SMITH (THOMAS IVY5, JOSEPH DUTY4, MICAJAH3, COLBY2, THOMAS1) was born Jul 14, 1900 in Emanuel Co, GA, and died Jan 1981 in Apopka, Orange Co, FL. She married LELAND E. JOHNSON Abt. 1926. He was born Sep 21, 1902 in GA, and died Feb 5, 1990 in Apopka, Orange Co, FL.
Notes for EVA MAE SMITH:
1930 Orange Co, FL. Leland 23, Eva Mae 30, Maylene 2. Married when Leland was 19 so been married 4 years. Leland is laborer in Citrus grove.
Children of EVA SMITH and LELAND JOHNSON are:
NNA MALENE7 JOHNSON, b. Abt. 1928, Orange Co, FL; m. LEROY HICKSON; b. Sep 6, 1926; d. Oct 1980, Seminole Co, FL.
ii. ATHELYNN JOHNSON, b. Jul 19, 1933, Orange Co, FL; d. Abt. 1990, Orlanda area; m. BILLY TILLY, Abt. 1953, Florida.